The past three weeks alone have made headlines in the mobile industry with the announcement of the new Kindle Fire HD from Amazon, the announcement of Nokia Lumia’s and of course the iPhone 5 from Apple. Now Ad and Analytics company Millennial Media has released its’ monthly Mobile Mix report
Containing data from Q2 of this year, the report looks at the tens of billions of impressions every month and calls out the top manufacturers, operating systems, mobile phones, tablets and more.
One stat that stood out this month in particular was the continued growth of smartphones. We all have certainly seen tremendous growth from smartphones for years now, but in Q2 of 2012, 74 percent of all ad impressions came from smartphones which was an increase of 8 percentage points year-over-year.
Here are some of the other stats included in this month’s report:
- Apple remained the leading manufacturer on our platform with more than 31 percent of the impression share. The iPhone also remained the leading individual mobile phone on our platform.
- Samsung devices represented 22 percent of impressions on our platform and had 8 devices in our top 20 mobile phones. All Samsung phones in the top 20 list rose in position compared to where they were in Q1.
- Android was the leading OS on our platform with 46 percent of total impressions. iOS was second with 34 percent of the total impressions.
- The iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab and Kindle Fire were the top three tablets on our platform and all ranked in the top 20 overall mobile devices.
- 95 percent of tablet impressions came over a Wi-Fi network, showing that many tablet owners are using their devices at home or work, where they have reliable Wi-Fi connections.
“Mobile devices and operating systems are growing more sophisticated by the day, and consumers are responding by spending less time with traditional media channels and more time with mobile devices like smartphones and tablets,” said Jamie Fellows, SVP, Product, Millennial Media. “As advertisers and developers aim to capitalize on this shift in consumer media consumption, it’s becoming critically important to understand the latest trends in the space, and this is the driving force behind our regular Mobile Intelligence reports.”
Visit http://www.millennialmedia.com/mobile-intelligence/mobile-mix/ to download the full report and accompanying charts and images.
Additional Mobile Intelligence reports from Millennial Media can be downloaded at http://www.millennialmedia.com/mobile-intelligence/.
Leave us your comments…