Mobilink, the biggest cellular company in Pakistan in coordination with Google Pakistan, today launched a remarkable Gmail-SMS web service. It is a free web-to-SMS service which enables Gmail users to send SMS to any Mobilink subscriber (33.5 Million + ) via Gmail web client. Mobilink subscribers can also reply back to that SMS which will appear in Gmail user’s web chat interface.
It is noteworthy that in order to initiate chat; first (1st) message has to be sent by a Gmail user via Gmail client on www.gmail.com. This means that Mobilink subscriber cannot initiate chat himself with his Gmail contacts from mobile phone. Spam Protection Policy & Quota System (as defined by Google) will be applicable to curb abuse of Gmail SMS service.
- Log into Gmail account using web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome.
- In Chat and SMS text box (image enclosed), enter the number of Mobilink subscriber to send message and click on Send SMS.
- In the dialog box, enter the name of message recipient in Contact Name text box; check the country name and mobile number (MSISDN) of mobile recipient (Mobilink subscriber) are correct. Once done, click Save as it will help to build contact list.
- Type message in the chat window and hit Enter. Message will be sent to the mobile number entered.
- To send message to already saved contact, type his name or number in Chat and SMS text box. Desired contact will be displayed below. Select it from the list and send message.
- To respond to the message received from Gmail user, simply reply from mobile. Reply will appear on Gmail interface of Gmail user.
- Mobilink subscriber can reply to the message received from Gmail user within 24 hours.
- SMS sent by Gmail users to Mobilink subscribers will be free of cost.
- SMS sent by Mobilink subscribers to Gmail users will be charged @ Rs. 1+Tax/SMS.
- No subscription is required to avail Gmail SMS service.
You can read more about the deal here and be sure to leave us your comments…